Thursday, August 24, 2006

Eagle has crashed

My favourite board game company was sold at an auction at the beginning of  the month. I know that I had complained about censorship on ist forum but still  Eagle Games was and still is my favourite. Their love for details, art and historical strategy games made them outstanding. Unique was the number of miniatures the customer got with every game. They made an intersting game on the American Civil War, a complex game on the Napoleonic Wars and a fictional game that had the 1930ies as background. They developed board game versions of computer games too, like Civilization and Railroad Tycoon which I never played.
Ironically, it was their engagement in poker games that brought them down. At first it might have been a good investment compared to big box games that offered only small profit margins. In the end it was the nail to their coffin. The new owner is probably a company that sells boardgames but has not developed any as far as I know. As there is still no official announcement after the auction the news waits to be confirmed. I really hope that other games will come. I would love to see a great game on the American Revolution or the Great War or the
War of the Seven Years. And I still wait for the ultimate Roman game. „Conquest of the Empire“ is pretty good but lacks political impacts and is based on Civil War within the Roman Empire while I look for a game that combines military expansion and making a political carrear as it happened at the end of the Roman Republic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home